Tuesday, August 31, 2010

You are going to put that where!?!

Like a skilled archer drawing back her bow, I take aim, release, and hit my target. Bull's-eye. But unlike an archer, my arrows are my fingers, and my target, while similar in color and shape, is my patient's puckering strings. I am referring to, of course, giving suppositories. Suppositories, for my non-medical readers, are medicines given anally. Part of a nurse's job is to deliver these medicines through the butt of our patients, using our skilled, delicate digits. Not all fingers are created equal. I recently discovered that one of my God-given talents is delivering suppositories in a pain-free, almost pleasurable fashion. I don't meant to toot my own horn (pun intended), but all of my patients with whom I've blessed with my fingers have each given me a compliment. One elderly man proclaimed that I had given him, "the best suppository of my life!" Each one of us, as we become nurses, bring something unique that will aid us in our careers. While I could have made my fortune tickling ivory keys with my slender tactile members, I instead, answered the call of my vocation. As I put on gloves, lube up my fingers, and ask my patient to take a deep breath and relax, I take comfort knowing that in the end, I am making a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment